Gas Safety Week – Everything Businesses Need to Know
What is Gas Safety Week?
Gas Safety Week is an annual campaign run by the Gas Safe Register, which aims to raise awareness about the importance of gas safety both at home and in the workplace. Celebrating its 12th year in 2022, Gas Safety Week will be running from 12th-18th September 2022 with one common goal – ‘keeping the nation gas safe’.
Gas appliances can cause leaks, carbon monoxide poisoning, fires and explosions if left unchecked. If you use gas at your premises, for cooking, heating or any other reason, you must get your gas appliances checked once a year to avoid putting yourself, your staff and your customers at risk.
This year the Gas Safe Register has been asking more businesses across the UK to take part in spreading the message about gas safety. With companies such as Savills, Cadent and SGN getting behind Gas Safety Week, every year more and more people are spreading the word to keep the country gas safe.
Gas Safety Week’s gas safety tips:
Get your gas appliances checked every year. If your business is a tenant in your premises, make sure your landlord arranges this.
Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at the Gas Safe Register website.
Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. You can make sure they are qualified to do the work by looking at the back of the card.
What to do if you smell gas at your business premises:
- Open all doors and windows to ventilate the building
- Evacuate the premises into fresh air as quickly as possible
- If you have access to it, switch off the gas using the gas emergency shut-off/control valve.
- Extinguish any flames and do not light anything in and around the premises. Do not use any electrical switches, e.g. light switches. These can create a spark which could ignite leaking gas.
- If anyone is feeling unwell, take them to a hospital. They may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Call the National Grid’s 24-hour emergency number on 0800 111 999. The National Grid to report a potential gas leak. They will be able to help immediately.
Carbon monoxide poisoning
Gov.uk reports that carbon monoxide poisoning results in 4,000 people visiting A&E, 200 people being hospitalised and around 50 deaths in England and Wales, every year. You should make sure you and your team are aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms include:
- Loss of consciousness.
If anyone is suffering from one or more of the following symptoms, you should get everyone outside immediately. If it is carbon monoxide poisoning, symptoms should begin to ease shortly after exposure to fresh air.
3 preventative measures to help keep your business gas-safe:
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. A carbon monoxide alarm will instantly alert you of any gas leaks.
- Familiarise yourself and your team with emergency procedures. Ensuring all of your team knows the business’ procedure for gas leaks could save lives.
- Share key gas safety information. Keep your colleagues, staff, family and friends informed on what to do in the event of a gas emergency. Ensure everyone safe at work and at home.
How Joblogic helps gas engineers and customers stay gas safe:
Joblogic allows you to keep your digital gas certificates safe and in one place. This means that you always have comprehensive gas safety records to hand.
The gas certificate module lets your engineers access a full list of certificates on their mobile devices or tablet. These can be easily shared and stored alongside customers’ details and job histories.
Joblogic’s gas certificate app also enables engineers to enter data on the go. This comes in useful when checking gas appliances or conducting gas safety inspections on-site.
The Joblogic gas certificate module allows your team to share gas certificates in real-time, without having to rely on the back-office to send out paper copies. You can send them out digitally to your customers while on-site.
Joblogic gas engineer software offers the tools you need to become more efficient every day. Our software allows you to:
- Create, schedule and deploy jobs in seconds with a user-friendly drag-and-drop scheduler.
- Track staff and monitor their progress throughout the day with our mobile engineer app.
- Create, customise and email quotes and invoices anytime, anywhere.
- Keep your customers up to date with a real-time customer portal.